Background: The Institute for Reforming Government, Inc. a 501(c)(3) based in Madison, Wisconsin (“IRG”), is looking to hire an executive vice president, who will report directly to the president, CJ Szafir. Since it was launched in 2017, IRG has published a series of studies evaluating the socioeconomic impact of policy reforms of the last decade, including Act 10, healthcare reform, and workforce development. These studies have been prominently featured on Fox News, the Guy Benson Show, Washington Examiner, and other outlets.
In 2020, IRG begun a limited program focused on the next wave of free market, limited government, and education reform policies in state government.
Job Duties: The executive vice president will support the president in implementing IRG’s strategic framework intended to advance policy solutions in Wisconsin. This includes:
- Lead IRG staff and personnel in community engagement, policy development, grassroots advocacy, and government relations. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Recruitment, hiring, training, and oversight of staff, fellows, and independent contractors
- Set agenda for and lead staff meetings
- Assist in professional development including performance evaluations
- Oversee and approve work product
- Ensure activity is aligned with strategic objectives and long-term vision
- Manage policy projects that may include executive branch oversight, state budget analysis, and the advancement of state-level policy reforms. Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Collaboration with IRG staff, policy advisors and senior fellows to generate next wave of conservative reforms
- Committee testimony
- Publication of opinion and editorial content for local or national media (including talk radio, print, or digital)
- Relationship development with key, lobbyists, community leaders, and think tanks
- Collaborate with IRG’s community engagement director and president to organize and mobilize community leaders in all corners of the state
- Support fundraising and development, including but not limited to, meeting with donors, writing grant proposals, and/or cultivating existing donors
- Support IRG budget development in alignment with organizational strategic plan
- Assist in preparation for meetings with Board of Directors, including making presentations to BOD when appropriate
Travel: Occasional meetings in Milwaukee, Madison, outstate, and Washington D.C. Professional development opportunities for conferences and site visits to other think tanks may exist.
Salary is comparable to an EVP position at similarly-sized state policy organizations and may vary depending on qualifications – $80,000 – $95,000. Benefits are included and information is available upon request.
IRG employees currently work remotely. It is anticipated that IRG will evaluate obtaining office space in late 2021.
- An advanced degree, experience at a nonprofit, deep understanding of law and policy issues, or experience at an affiliate or associate organization in State Policy Network (SPN).
- A passion for helping others and public policy that ensures all Wisconsinites have an opportunity to succeed and prosper to fulfill their potential
- Possess an entrepreneurial spirit and a desire to support the work of a growing and evolving organization as a solutions-focused and creative leader
- Leverage exceptional communication skills – both written, verbal, in-person, and remotely. Possess the ability to distill complicated ideas and policy concepts
- Demonstrate experience in government or an understanding of and appreciation for the legislative process
- Have experience in fundraising activities including grant writing, prospect research, and donor engagement and/or cultivation
- Have established relationships in the center right community including business, politics, think tanks, and government
- Demonstrate supervisory and management experience
Apply: Qualified applicants should send their resume, at least two references, and a brief cover letter on why they want to work at IRG to CJ Szafir email@example.com. Questions on the position can be directed to CJ.
IRG is an equal opportunity employer.